WRITTEN BY: supportmymoto.com STAFF
Information migration is a key activity through the transition to SAP S/4HANA. Primarily based on the completely different enterprise eventualities it is very important select the most effective ETL instrument to make the transition into SAP S/4HANA a nice journey. These are some key questions to consider information migration necessities:
- What deployment possibility is the goal / receiver of the information? SAP S/4HANA or SAP S/4HANA Cloud?
- Which information is required from sources to function S/4HANA the best way needed? Customizing? Grasp information? Open objects? Balances?
- What are the sources and sender methods of the information? Which is the quantity and kind of the supply methods? Is the central grasp information administration energetic?
- Can date be migrated “as is” or is it wanted to remodel it on the fly? Complexity? Are information transformations wanted? Is information high quality enchancment mandatory?
- Who must be concerned? That are the selections to be taken? Are there main stakeholders?
To switch information utilizing the SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit, function SAP_CA_DMC_MC_USER is required. To make use of the SAP S/4HANA Migration Object Modeler (transaction LTMOM), function SAP_CA_DMC_MC_DEVELOPER is required.
The corresponding function for every migration object can also be required.
For added concerns see SAP word 2481235.
When working with migration cockpit, step one is at all times to create a migration undertaking the place the required migration objects will activated/created.
To take action, entry transaction LTMC and click on on the create button.
A pop-up will present up and a reputation have to be entered for the undertaking. There may be additionally a button to pick out whether or not the supply of knowledge is imported from recordsdata or from staging tables (entails a staging DB and schema). These two choices can’t be chosen at a time and it determines the best way the instrument will obtain the enter information.
- Switch information from file: This feature permits to carry out information extraction from recordsdata. The recordsdata should be accomplished based mostly on XML templates that may be downloaded as soon as an object is generated throughout the undertaking. The file format and structure shouldn’t be modified. When working with recordsdata there are some concerns to be taken under consideration, as described on this SAP Weblog by Sybille Lackermeier. Word that file-based initiatives can deal with as much as 1,048,576 data, as it’s the restrict of an excel file, or 100 MB, which is the scale restrict Migration Cockpit can obtain with out altering icm/HTTP/max_request_size_KB parameter. Altering it would enable to add recordsdata as much as 160 MB as described in word 2719524.
- Switch information from staging tables: When deciding on this feature, a HANA database and schema is required. On this schema staging tables will likely be created when an object is generated. It is going to create as many tables as supply buildings are outlined for the generated object. There are some stipulations: Firstly, database connections have to be accessible. This may be checked by utilizing transaction DBCO. Secondly, if the connections can be found in DBCO, they should be white-listed in desk DMC_C_WL_DBCO utilizing transaction SM30.
When making a staging table-based undertaking it’s necessary to outline a database connection the place staging tables will likely be generated. Think about that this database connection will join migration cockpit with a HANA staging database and must be arrange previous to the undertaking creation.
For any sort of undertaking a 3-digit mass switch ID (MID) have to be chosen. It is going to determine the undertaking and its objects unequivocally. Every object created / activated on this undertaking can have its title ending with this MID (e.g.: an object’s title in a undertaking recognized with MID “00A” will finish in “…_00A”. For instance: “Z_WORK_CNTR_00A).
This MID is unique when exporting / importing initiatives as properly.
Normal object listing
Migration Cockpit comes filled with a set of pre-existing objects which can be utilized by activating them. This object listing is elevated with each new launch.
A full object launch could be discovered within the following SAP Assist paperwork:
Producing a migration object
Whereas working with Migration Cockpit, information will likely be transferred utilizing the migration objects, which have their very own set of supply and goal buildings and fields. Migration Cockpit already incorporates a set of ordinary objects which can be utilized; however typically these objects don’t fulfil particular wants or there’s not an current one to switch the wanted information. In these instances, improvement of recent objects or enhancements of the present ones are required.
Working with commonplace objects
To begin working with a regular object go contained in the created undertaking, seek for the one you want and click on on it, and click on the OK button which can seem within the pop up.
Relying on the chosen migration strategy, two completely different screens will seem.
Within the case of a staging table-based undertaking, there are three necessary buttons above the desk which reveals the title of the staging tables and their particulars:
- Begin switch: Begins the migration course of, which can include three necessary (Validate Information, Map Values, and Execute Import) and one non-compulsory step (Simulate Import).
- Begin synchronization: When adjustments are made to the supply buildings, a synchronization is necessary to use these adjustments to the staging tables.
- Restart switch: This button will cease current switch processes if they’ve already been began and it’s mandatory to start out over.
To begin the information switch for a staging table-based undertaking, it’s essential to have entries within the header desk.
Within the case of a file-based undertaking there are seven necessary buttons above the desk of imported recordsdata and their particulars:
- Delete: Deletes the chosen file from the listing.
- Obtain: Downloads the chosen file from the listing.
- Obtain template: Downloads an XML file which have to be accomplished with the information which will likely be transported.
- Add file: Permits add of XML recordsdata for his or her switch.
- Activate: Flags the file for transportation.
- Deactivate: Deletes flag for transportation.
- Begin switch: begins the migration course of, which can include three necessary (Validate Information, Map Values, and Execute Import) and one non-compulsory step (Simulate Import).
To begin the information switch for a filed-based undertaking, there have to be a minimum of one file loaded and activated within the listing. This file should include a minimum of one document on the necessary tabs.
Enhancing a regular object or creating a brand new one
There are instances when commonplace objects don’t utterly swimsuit customized wants. These instances could be addressed by utilizing one other instrument: The Migration Object Modeler. It may be accessed by way of transaction LTMOM, and it permits to vary supply buildings (new buildings and fields in addition to modify current ones), construction and area mappings and add guidelines to control information earlier than it’s despatched to the goal BAPI in addition to creating new objects from scratch.
The Migration Cockpit Modeler consists by 5 elements:
- World Information: The place international variables and constants which can be utilized in all guidelines are declared.
- Supply Constructions: The place the enter buildings and fields are outlined, altering the schema of the template file or the staging tables.
- Goal Constructions: Right here is outlined the goal perform module in addition to the importing technique, the return construction and the testing area for the information simulation.
- Construction Mapping: The supply and goal buildings and mapped right here.
- Subject Mapping: Fields are mapped right here, relying on the construction mapping completed earlier than.
Technique of switch for an object in a file-based undertaking
To load a file-based object, go into mentioned object and click on the Obtain Template button. An XML file will likely be downloaded. To see its contents, it have to be opened in Excel. Don’t modify this file’s construction.
Go into the corresponding tabs and full the required information.
When completed, save and shut it. Then return to migration cockpit and click on on the Add File button.
Choose the corresponding file and add a related description for it.
It’s potential to load a number of recordsdata to course of them on the identical time.
To activate it, choose it and click on on the Activate button. To deactivate an already energetic file, click on on the Deactivate button.
When the recordsdata are loaded and activated, click on on the Begin Switch button to start transferring the information.
Wait till validation ends and verify that there aren’t any errors within the step, if there are, appropriate them and validate once more. This step will validate the entries despatched within the file by checking that identification numbers are within the appropriate quantity vary and that the knowledge used exists in goal system.
If no errors are displayed, click on on the Subsequent button to proceed to the Worth Mapping.
Right here every translation rule will present errors if new values are discovered for the sector. If one of many objects is clicked, a window like the next one will present up:
There are three varieties of messages for the objects:
- Inactive (grey sq.): which signifies that the supply worth is appropriate however must be accepted.
- Open (pink circle): which signifies that the system didn’t discover a appropriate goal worth and have to be specified manually or modified within the supply (file).
- Accomplished (inexperienced sq.): which suggests that there’s a appropriate goal worth and has already been accepted.
For these values marked as open, it’s essential to specify a goal worth manually. Whereas these marked as inactive could be Checked to mark them as accomplished if the proposed worth is appropriate.
As soon as all mapping values have been marked as accomplished, click on on Affirm to avoid wasting them. Then click on Save.
Repeat this course of till there aren’t any extra mappings to validate and click on on Subsequent to proceed the method.
Wait till simulation ends and verify for errors. If there are, appropriate them first and repeat from Information Validation. Then click on on Subsequent to proceed to information import.
Wait till import is completed and verify there aren’t any errors. If there aren’t, click on on the End button to finish the method. If there are errors, appropriate them and restart the switch course of.
The standing of the transferred recordsdata will now be set to “Completed”.
As a final step, verify on the corresponding tables if the entries have been accurately created.
Technique of switch for an object in a staging table-based undertaking
As a prerequisite to load a staging table-based undertaking, there have to be a minimum of one entry within the header desk. If there’s, then it’s potential to start out the switch by clicking the Begin Switch button.
The switch course of is similar as for a file-based object. Please check with the earlier steps to comply with this course of.
To realize extra details about this subject, be at liberty to go to the SAP DMLT web page, SAP S/4HANA web page and the SAPPI Success Story. You may get extra details about information migration and major companies like Selective Information Transition, New Implementation and System Conversion which we additionally ship remotely. Please be at liberty to contact SAP DMLT World Buyer Engagement Workforce for enterprise inquires.
For additional info please verify the beneath described notes and KBAs.
2537549 – Collective SAP Word and FAQ for SAP S/4HANA Migration cockpit
2719524 – SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit: XML template measurement limits
2733253 – FAQ for SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit – Switch possibility: Switch information from staging tables
2747566 – SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit: Switch Information Instantly from SAP System – Availability
SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit – SAP Assist Portal (consists of object listing for launch 1808+)
SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit – SAP Assist Portal (consists of object listing for launch 1610SPS03-1809FPS02)
Intro Video: SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit – Migrate your Information
Video: SAP HANA Academy – Migration Cockpit
Video: SAP HANA Academy – Migration Object Modeler
Open SAP course Information Migration to SAP S/4HANA
Cloud object documentation – SAP Weblog