WRITTEN BY: supportmymoto.com STAFF
When you’re trying to purchase a brand new automotive, there’s a superb probability that the built-in head unit/infotainment system helps both Apple’s CarPlay or Google’s Android Auto. If it does, then nice! You’ll have entry to a variety of apps and providers due to integration along with your iPhone or Android machine. Apple has supported wi-fi CarPlay since iOS 9, however wi-fi Android Auto requires that you simply particularly have a Nexus 5X/6P or a Pixel smartphone and reside within the U.S., Canada, or Mexico. Nonetheless, it seems the machine requirement might have silently modified previously few weeks, as dozens of Redditors came upon.
Google first rolled out the brand new wi-fi Android Auto in April of 2018, however it was solely out there for Nexus and Pixel smartphones working at the least Android 8.0 Oreo. In Could of 2018, a Kenwood press launch recommended that wi-fi Android Auto shall be made out there for non-Google gadgets with the Android 9 Pie replace, however the press launch was quietly up to date to say that Google was nonetheless engaged on bringing wider compatibility for Android Auto wi-fi. Over a yr later, Google might have lastly flipped the swap to allow assist for non-Google smartphones.
On the /r/AndroidAuto subreddit, Redditor /u/dingonugget found he was in a position to pair his OnePlus 7 Professional together with his Kenwood Excelon DMX905S after-market head unit.
After sharing his methodology, a number of Redditors found that their very own non-Google smartphones have been able to utilizing Android Auto wirelessly. Redditors with smartphones just like the Honor 9, Samsung Galaxy Be aware 8, Samsung Galaxy S10, LG V40 ThinQ, and OnePlus 6T reported success, many utilizing after-market head models from completely different producers. The OP of the Reddit thread compiled an inventory of gadgets and the top models that the gadgets have been efficiently paired to:
- OnePlus 7 Professional w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- Huawei Honor 9 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy Be aware 8 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- Samsung Galaxy S8 w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
- LG V40 ThinQ w/ Pioneer AVIC-W8400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9905S
- Samsung Galaxy Be aware 9 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9705S
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Kenwood Excellon DMX905S
- Samsung Galaxy Be aware 9 w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- Samsung Galaxy S9+ w/ Pioneer W4400NEX
- OnePlus 6T w/ JVC KW-M845BW
- OnePlus 6T w/ Pioneer W4400NEX (working Pixel ROM)
- Samsung Galaxy S10 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9705S
- OnePlus 6T w/ Kenwood Excellon DNX995S
- OnePlus 6T w/ JVC KW-M855W
- Samsung Galaxy S9 w/ Kenwood Excellon DDX9905S
- Samsung Galaxy S10+ w/ Pioneer W8400NEX
When you’re thinking about making an attempt this for your self, right here’s what it’s a must to do.
Arrange Wi-fi Android Auto on non-Pixel smartphones
- Allow improvement settings within the Android Auto app by opening the app, tapping settings, scrolling down till you see “model,” after which tapping on “model” 10 instances.
- Enter Growth Settings.
- Choose “present wi-fi projection possibility.”
- Reboot your cellphone.
- Observe your head unit’s directions on connecting to it wirelessly.
Right here’s a display recording made by /u/dingonugget displaying off steps 1-3:
If after making an attempt these steps you continue to can’t get it working otherwise you don’t personal a head unit suitable with Android Auto wi-fi, then you possibly can strive utilizing AAGateWay from XDA Acknowledged Developer Emil Borconi to make use of your wired head unit as a wi-fi one. Alternatively, you possibly can flip any Android suitable machine right into a wi-fi Android Auto head unit with HeadUnit Reloaded. This app is from the identical developer, however it’s a bit extra hacky.