WRITTEN BY: supportmymoto.com STAFF
Android O is seeking to carry main enhancements to the Android OS everyone knows and love. Image-in-picture mode for telephones, notification channels, good textual content choice, autofill providers, and beneath the hood many, many modifications to boost your battery life, efficiency, and safety. One characteristic that’s supposed to assist customers type out points with battery life and efficiency is background course of limitations. With out going into an excessive amount of element, apps in Android O can not be woken from their manifest-registered implicit broadcast receivers they usually can not begin background providers with out going via JobScheduler. If an app needs to start out a background service, it should explicitly inform the consumer that it’s doing so by posting a notification. Nevertheless, when an app is working within the background, Android O now seemingly tacks on one other persistent notification telling you what apps are working. This additionally happens when an app with the SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW permission (comparable to the favored Twilight app) is presently displaying an overlay.
Though these notifications are minimized by default, they can’t be dismissed by the consumer or completely blocked in Settings. This habits could be very annoying to many customers, and I significantly hope that Google offers us a solution to disable this notification within the last Android O/Android 8.0 launch. Nevertheless, if they don’t, there is nonetheless a solution to completely disguise the persistent background apps notification. I’ll showcase how to take action in a step-by-step information, adopted by a proof of the way it works in addition to necessary caveats.
Disguise the Persistent Notification in Android O
- Set up the USB drivers to your explicit telephone should you’re on Home windows (they are often discovered right here).
- Obtain the ADB binary to your explicit working system (Home windows, Mac, Linux). These hyperlinks will at all times level to the most recent model of the binary, so that you don’t need to scour the online on the lookout for the most recent one.
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file you downloaded into an simply accessible folder in your PC (comparable to within the Downloads folder).
- Go to the Settings app in your telephone and faucet on the “About Cellphone” possibility.
- Discover the Construct Quantity and faucet on it 7 occasions to allow Developer Mode. You’ll see a popup as soon as it’s enabled.
- Return to the Settings principal menu and enter Developer Choices so you’ll be able to allow USB Debugging Mode.
- Plug your telephone in to the PC and swipe down your notification panel to vary the USB mode from “cost solely” to “file switch (MTP)” mode. This is probably not needed to your telephone.
- In your PC, browse to the listing the place you extracted the ADB binary.
- Launch a Command Immediate/Terminal on this ADB listing. For Home windows customers, this may be completed by a Shift+Proper-click then deciding on the “open command immediate right here” possibility.
- When you’re within the Command Immediate or Terminal setting, enter the next command:
- This may begin the ADB daemon. If that is your first time working ADB, additionally, you will see a immediate in your telephone asking you to authorize a connection.
- Now re-run the adb units command from step 10, and the command immediate/terminal will print the serial variety of your machine. If it does, you then’re prepared to maneuver on. If not, then the USB drivers are probably not put in correctly.
- Return to the Command Immediate and enter the next command:
- Now execute the next command:
cmd appops set android POST_NOTIFICATION ignore
- You gained’t get successful message or something, however so long as you don’t see an error it ought to have labored. Now simply reboot your telephone!
Sure, I understand these are footage of a telephone display relatively than screenshots. I don’t have an Android O suitable machine myself, so I requested TK to ship me photographs.
- If you wish to revert this command, enter this into the command immediate:
cmd appops set android POST_NOTIFICATION permit
The way it works
Utilizing the hidden command line interface for App Ops, Android’s user-facing permission administration system, we’re in a position to prohibit the POST_NOTIFICATION permission from the “android” bundle. (Notice: we’re setting it to “ignore” relatively than “deny” as a result of “deny” might trigger some errors.) I discovered this permission by wanting on the related supply code for AppOpsManager, which lists all the potential permissions that may be granted/revoked, lots of which aren’t accessible within the Android settings. The “android” bundle really refers to “Android System” AKA framework-res.apk, which is answerable for the persistent notification that we are attempting to eliminate.
By basically revoking the Android System’s POST_NOTIFICATION permission, it may well not present a notification! Sounds fairly easy, proper? Sadly, there’s a caveat to concentrate on. “Android System” is answerable for extra than simply this notification, so another notifications that it could publish will not be proven. This could embody the USB mode notification (which might nonetheless be modified via the setting in Developer Choices) in addition to another issues.
Whereas it is a fairly drastic measure to tackle our half, it’s presently the one solution to disguise this notification aside from rooting your telephone and modifying the framework itself which is clearly one thing not many customers are keen or in a position to do. I sincerely hope that Google gives a solution to disguise this notification in a future launch of Android O, and even higher take away this notification totally. Google understandably needs to enhance the consumer expertise by notifying customers when an app is working within the background that the consumer is probably not conscious of, however the methodology they selected is annoying for these of us who know what about every app we’re utilizing.